Pages

Thursday, March 2, 2017

Minimalism Journey Update - Makeup Collection

During my minimalism journey, this has probably been the hardest area to declutter. I had to ask myself many questions before I even attempted to tackle it. Why? You may ask, and the main reason is because I just love pretty makeup, even if I do not wear a lot of it.

I became interested in makeup probably around 2013 when I really got into YouTube. I started watching some of the London YouTubers, which I still love today, but reached a point where I said to myself: Does it make sense to keep constantly buying makeup? Soon I will have more makeup than I need. What is the point of having a full drawer when I mainly use concealer, mascara and lip balm on a daily basis? I do not even like the feeling of too much or heavy makeup on my face! After all these thoughts, it was time to get serious.

My first decluttering session was sometime between April and June, I can't remember exactly, but besides wanting to live a more minimalistic lifestyle, moving was also the perfect opportunity to do so. I got rid of many products and I shipped the rest to my new place. The pictures you will see here are from a second decluttering session I had recently. This time around it was easier because I have detached myself a lot more from the makeup items I still had.

To make it easier, this time my criteria for keeping an item was:
  • Do I use it a lot and do I like it?
  • Does it feel good on my skin? 
  • Is it recent or has it expired?
  • How healthy is it to apply these things on my face? Could I find a healthier and natural alternative in the future once I run out of what I decide to keep? 
With these things in mind, I put all my make up on a table, started sorting and after getting rid of what I didn't want to keep, this was the result. The pile on the left is what I decided to keep and on the right what I got rid of. (A couple of days later I got rid of 8 more items from the keep pile, it gets easier each time.) It doesn't seem much, but I'm not trying to have 0 products.
What are your thoughts on minimalism? Leave your comments below and if you have a blog I would be interested in checking it out. Leave your link! 

Disclaimer: With this post I'm not trying to convince anybody to be a minimalist and get rid of half of their belongings. This is something that has worked for me, it helps me feel better, live a healthier lifestyle and be a lot more conscious about what I put into my body. As you may know, stuff you put on your skin is absorbed into your blood...Once I ran out of what I have, my goal is to transition to using natural products.



No comments:

Post a Comment